Pages

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Limit to Will Power


D-is-forThe book, The Foodist, by Darya Pino Rose, changed how I view food and weight loss that leads to a healthier lifestyle. In this book, she begins by discussing how 'diet' is a 4-letter word and how if we look at the science behind food and our bodies, we can enjoy REAL food - food that is nutrient rich - and maintains a healthy weight all the while feeling great!

One main point from chapter 2 is that of willpower and how it fails us.  We've all been there.  You decide you want to lose weight.  You will yourself to follow a diet.  You lose weight in the short-term, but long-term results include regaining of some weight and a feeling of failure.

Roy Baumeister and John Tierney, in their book, Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength, propose that willpower is dependent on blood sugar. Your brain uses blood sugar to fuel your will.  When you are hungry, as when dieting, blood sugar drops, and you lose some will to choose healthier options.  If you already have a life-long history of poor eating habits, then you are more likely to choose quick, nutrient deficient foods.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 1.00.41 PMBaumeister's research further showed that self-control depletes your willpower.  Think about when you have a tough day at work.  Do you want to eat healthily or do you want to run through a drive-thru or order take-out?  Do you feel like eating a salad, or greasy, cheesy, fried food?  What about when you are tired?  I remember being in college.  Not only was I poor, so I bought cheap unhealthy food, but all-nighters meant I was up drinking coffee, and sticking with cereal, or mac and cheese as diet staples.  Being tired is another hurdle keeping us from making impulsive food decisions. Women, I won't even touch PMS.  You know how that is already.
  

To counteract this problem:
  • Keep choices of healthy, nutrient-rich foods, ready and on-hand to eat when you need it  
  • If you are hungry, drink some water and then eat a healthy snack- don't ignore your brain's internal satiety cues  
  • Eat at regular intervals to help keep your blood sugar regular 
  • Figure out ahead of time what days could cause trouble and make a healthy eating plan that is available when the time comes
  • Make a plan for what you will do if you must eat out at a restaurant while at work or at a social event
  • Surround yourself with people who are encouraging and can support your healthy eating habits
  • Educate yourself about healthy eating
Bottom line- willpower cannot be trusted.  There are too many variables present to sabotage your healthy eating decisions.  Listen to your body, keep realistic nutritional goals, think and plan what you will eat so that eating becomes mindful and not a mindless habit.  Don't starve yourself and pick a healthy eating plan and foods that fit YOUR lifestyle- not the plan that worked for your best friend.

I hope this information is helpful. I know it was eye-opening for me.  I don't have to rely on my will. I know, now, that my brain will tell me when my body needs food, and my learning about healthy foods is how I best meet the needs of my body.  Making good food decisions all the time means that feeling good and weight loss will eventually be a logical result! There is much more information available in Chapter 2 of The Foodist.  This was just one portion that stood out for me!


Images from:
http://toyourgoodhealthradio.com/why-d-i-e-t-is-a-4-letter-word/
https://kathypro.org/2016/03/19/diet-is-a-4-letter-word/
http://www.plumpetals.co.uk/2015/02/22/that-4-letter-word-diet/
https://quacksfromastrangeduck.blogspot.com/2011/05/day-11-of-30-picture-of-something-i.html

No comments:

Post a Comment